Stingers are spider-like creatures found in mostly caves and jungles. They move very swiftly and come in 3 variants.
Warning: Spider images in this article. If you have Arachnophobia, please do not click the tabber. Clicking the 'Stinger' tab above will unhide the infoboxes for Stingers which contain spider images.
|A large spider-like creature of a greenish color that can produce Poison Gas|
Small Stingers are the most common. The Large Stinger, which is a larger variation, occurs more frequently in caves and later-game biomes (such as the Red Bamboo Fields and the Swamp), often surrounded by multiple smaller Stingers.
Elite Stingers can be found in the swamp area of the Red Jungle (elevated center part of the map) and also in Caves, they have even more health than the Large Stinger and can emit Poison Gas.
Activating the "Arachnophobia mode" option replaces the stinger models with three sprites of cats with an animated hologram filter, to make the stinger visuals more palatable for those with arachnophobia. While this is enabled:
- The cat sprites do not correspond to a Stinger variant, which can make it harder to tell them apart, instead, it is picked randomly
- Elite Stingers have green particles surrounding them
- The hitbox isn't changed
- The cat sprites do not dim and can always be seen clearly, even in dark environments
- The movement sound is silenced and their attack/idle sounds are replaced by cat sounds (loud meows)
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Stingers make scuttling insect-like sounds when moving (unless in arachnophobia mode, as noted above). Stingers tend to zigzag and run in circles when moving, attempting to distract engineers. This can be potentially dangerous when they are attacking in groups.
The leaping attack from Large and Elite Stingers has friendly fire: they can hurt or even kill each other.
|Slash||10 or 30||Slash the target in front of it by moving all four of its claws inwards. Smaller Stingers deal 10 damage while the larger deal 30.|
|Leap||30||Only by Large / Elite Stingers. Charge, leap then followed by a Slash attack. Has a short cooldown after this.|
|Poison||5 / sec||Poison Gas attack by Elite Stingers, radius 15 meters, persists for 25 seconds. May release multiple poison gases.|
Climbing[edit | edit source]
Large and Elite Stingers have the ability to climb vertically, and when encountered in groups, will climb on each other to reach the engineer. They also have the ability to climb trees and Lookout Towers. They cannot climb on vertical surfaces with negative gradient, such as a cliff overhang. When facing sharp edges, unlike Hogs and Spitters, they can climb downwards.
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Stingers usually spawn in groups, with Large and Elite Stingers sometimes spawning alone. Some Stinger spawn points only work during the night, this makes some areas more hostile during the night.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If subtitles are enabled, 'Quick Footsteps' will be displayed if a Stinger is moving. Before they attack, it will display 'Slash'.
Combat[edit | edit source]
- The Xeno-Basher is effective against stingers.
- Back off to dodge the melee attack.
- Construct a Lookout Tower or at least 5 stacked Splitters or a Foundation 8m x 4m to fully avoid their attacks (if Large or Elite). For Elite Stingers, you may need to stack higher to out-range the poison gas that it releases.
- When standing on a tower of splitters or foundations, Stingers will gather around the base of the tower, moving around. Nobelisks can be effective against group of them.
- Use the Rifle or Nobelisks to attack them from a distance. It might be difficult to land a Nobelisk precisely however, due to their fast movement.
- Take caution before fighting multiple Large or Elite Stingers due to their high damage (30) and leaping capability.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There are 3 total cat sprites seen while Arachnophobia mode is enabled, two of which are from the same cat. It has been confirmed that both cats belong to Coffee Stain developers.
- Stingers are most likely carnivorous creatures and attack for food.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Patch 0.3?? : Elite Stingers now drool greeny liquid to distinguish them from Large Stingers.
- Patch 0.3: Now make cat sounds when Arachnophobia mode is enabled.
- Patch 0.1.16: Minor tweaks to the Elite Stinger.
- Patch 0.1.15: Introduced the Elite Stinger to the Red Jungle.
- Patch 0.1.14: Fixed an on load crash related to the Small Stinger.
- Patch 0.1.5: Added LODs. Now drops Alien Organs.
References[edit | edit source]