As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
|This article may need cleanup to meet quality standards.
Please help Discussion page may contain suggestions.
Please help if you can. The Discussion page may contain suggestions.
Reason: "Rewrite article for differences across Stinger variants to be more clear, also add sizes and verify drops"
Stingers are spider-like creatures found in mostly caves and jungles. They move very swiftly and come in 4 variants.
Warning: Spider images in this page. If you have Arachnophobia, please do not click the tabber. Clicking the 'Stinger' tab above will unhide the infoboxes for Stingers which contain spider images.
|A large spider-like creature of a greenish color that can produce Poison Gas|
Small Stingers are the most common. The Large Stinger, which is a larger variation, occurs more frequently in caves and later-game biomes (such as the Red Bamboo Fields and Swamp), often surrounded by multiple smaller Stingers. Occasionally, a tiny Stinger smaller than the "small" variety can be found.
Elite Stingers can be found in the swamp area of the Red Jungle (elevated center part of the map) and also in Caves, they have even more health than the Large Stinger and can emit Poison Gas.
Activating the "Arachnophobia mode" option replaces the stinger models with three sprites of cats with an animated hologram filter, to make the stinger visuals more palatable for those with arachnophobia. Additionally, when Arachnophobia mode is enabled, their movement sound is silenced and their attack/idle sounds are replaced by cat sounds (loud meows).
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Stingers aggressively attack Engineers (or, sometimes other creatures such as Hogs) by clawing. Large and Elite stingers can also leap up to 10 meters up/forwards. These attacks can knock unsuspecting engineers out of their vehicles (verification needed). Large and Elite stingers deal 30 damage per attack and the smaller ones deal 10 damage.
Stingers make scuttling insect-like sounds when moving (unless in arachnophobia mode, as noted above). Stingers tend to zigzag and run in circles when moving, attempting to distract engineers. This can be potentially dangerous when they are attacking in groups.
Large stingers have super-charged tackle attack and a leap attack on top of the stinger's usual melee claw attack, all of which deal 30 damage. In addition, Elite Stingers can produce Poison Gas in a radius of 15 meters which deals 5 damage per second, and the gas stays on that area for 25 seconds.
Climbing[edit | edit source]
Large and Elite Stingers have the ability to climb vertically, and when encountered in groups, will climb on each other to reach the engineer. They also have the ability to climb trees and Lookout Towers. They cannot climb on vertical surfaces with negative gradient, such as a cliff overhang. When facing sharp edges, unlike Hogs and Spitters, they can climb downwards.
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Stingers usually spawn in groups, with Large and Elite Stingers sometimes spawning alone. Some Stinger spawn points only work during the night, this makes some areas more hostile during the night.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- If subtitles are enabled, 'Quick Footsteps' will be displayed if a Stinger is moving. Before they attack, it will display 'Slash'.
- The cat sprites shown when Arachnophobia mode is enabled do not dim and can always be seen clearly, even in dark environments. This can be useful to get notified of their presence.
Combat[edit | edit source]
- The Xeno-Basher is effective against stingers.
- Back off to dodge the melee attack.
- Construct a Lookout Tower or at least 5 stacked Splitters or a Foundation 8m x 4m to fully avoid their attacks (if Large or Elite). For Elite Stingers, you may need to stack higher to out-range the poison gas that it releases.
- When standing on a tower of splitters or foundations, Stingers will gather around the base of the tower, moving around. Nobelisks can be effective against group of them.
- Use the Rifle or Nobelisks to attack them from a distance. It might be difficult to land a Nobelisk precisely however, due to their fast movement.
- Take caution before fighting multiple Large or Elite Stingers due to their high damage (30) and leaping capability.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There are 3 total cat sprites seen while Arachnophobia mode is enabled, two of which are from the same cat. It has been confirmed that both cats belong to Coffee Stain developers.
- Stingers are most likely carnivorous creatures and attack for food.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Patch 0.3?? : Elite stingers now drools greeny liquid as to distinguish it from large Stingers.
- Patch 0.3: Now make cat sounds when Arachnophobia mode is enabled.
- Patch 0.1.16: Minor tweaks to the Elite Stinger.
- Patch 0.1.15: Introduced the Elite Stinger to the Red Jungle.
- Patch 0.1.14: Fixed an on load crash related to the Small Stinger.
- Patch 0.1.5: Added LODs. Now drops Alien Organs.
References[edit | edit source]