|A quadrupedal horned creature that spits fire projectiles
The Spitter is a ranged hostile creature that deals damage by its fireball attack. It can be seen in groups, guarding the mid-tier resource patches such as Coal.
- A spitter patrols around its spawning point, which is commonly around resource nodes, Power Slug, Mercer Sphere, Somersloop, Crash Site, but can also be anywhere in the World.
- A spitter makes a snake-like hissing sound when patrolling.
- Spitters can be seen in a group. Some are lead by a larger version of these which is the Alpha Spitter.
- If the engineer approaches a spitter, it will become aggressive. It will start attacking the nearest Engineer in this mode.
- A spitter ignores all vehicles, even if an engineer is riding it. A spitter will still target the engineer hiding behind a vehicle or standing on top of it.
- A spitter triggers its attack by shooting out a yellow fireball in a straight line. Before its attack, its mouth glows and blinks in yellow.
- If a spitter is attacked by the engineer but the engineer is at a location where it cannot fight back, it will flee. After some time it will move back to its patrol location.
- A spitter drops an Alien Organs after being killed. If it falls into a void, it will not drop any loot.
- Under normal circumstances, a spitter does not respawn after being killed. However, it is possible for it to re-spawn provided a long time as passed and there is no player-built buildings around it.
- If a building is built around it, and it is not killed by the Engineer, after some time it will de-spawn, leaving no loot.
- Equip yourself with a weapon such as a Xeno-Basher. Make sure it is in your hand.
- Make sure you are in the running mode. Press ⇧ Shift to toggle run. Make sure the running mode is set to 'Toggle' in the Options->Control setting.
- When a spitter detects an engineer is nearby, it will run towards the nearest engineer, pause momentary, then shoot out a yellow fireball from its mouth.
- Its ranged fireball attack has the following characteristics:
- The spitter's mouth will blink a few times in yellow before shooting as a warning sign. Its mouth will appear like it is chewing a piece of gum.
- It travels in a straight line. If it hits anything, a splash effect can be seen, and the fireball itself disappears.
- It deals 10 damage to the engineer and wheeled vehicles if hit.
- It targets directly towards the engineer if the engineer does not move.
- If the engineer moves, it predicts when the engineer will be in the next few seconds and will shoot at the predicted direction.
- A spitter will move a few steps towards you, then start shooting. It will try not to stay too close to the engineer. After each shot, it will move another few steps then repeat its attack.
- If the engineer is in the melee range of the spitter, the spitter will then shoot out a melee-range fireball, dealing 5 damage with a knockback effect. Its mouth will not display any warning sign for this melee attack.
- Its attack can be completely dodged by getting out of its line of attack:
- Moving to sideways (A or D), or moving forward with a zigzag pattern
- Jump (Space)
- Hitting the fireball with a Xeno-Basher to negate it
- To avoid its melee fireball attack, simply move backwards S
- A spitter has a few seconds cooldown after each fireball attack. After it shot a fireball, move towards it with and use your Xeno-Basher to double-bash it (Double-click).
- As it will start shooting a melee fireball, back off a bit. Its attack should have missed you and hit the ground instead.
- As the double-bash deals 21 damage and a spitter only has 40 hit points, 2 hits with the double-bash will kill it.
- If you use a Xeno-Zapper, which deals only 5 damage, you may need to hit it a few more times to kill it.
- If the spitter dies, pick up the Alien Organs dropped by it.
- Try to handle only one spitter at a time. It is possible to lure a spitter from its group.
- It is possible to kill a spitter without getting yourself injured, but if your health drops too low, consider fleeing or healing yourself.
- If you attempt to flee, do not run in a straight line. Try moving in a zigzag pattern and jump often.
- Wait until your health slowly regenerates back to 3 segments (30 HP). Use a healing item such as a Beryl Nut to heal beyond that amount.
- It is possible to have a spitter being hit by a fireball launched by another spitter, however it seems to take no 'friendly' damage from that.
- If the fire projectile collides with a thrown Nobelisk, the Nobelisk will explode.