Space Giraffe-Tick-Penguin-Whale Thing
The Space Giraffe-Tick-Penguin-Whale Thing (sometimes referred to as Land Whale, chonky boy, mr. Bean, etc.) is a passive land creature found throughout the world. A statue of it can be found in the shop where it is referred to as a "Confusing Creature".
Appearance[edit | edit source]
It looks like a whale from a distance, however, a closer look reveals a bird-like beak and head with small eyes, indicating that it may not have poor eyesight. It has 4 very long legs which it uses to move around and swim. The Land Whale will occasionally make noises that sound similar to water-dwelling whales found on Earth.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Land Whale is a passive creature. It will not attack the engineer and will not run away when approached. If attacked by an engineer, it will attempt to gallop away from the engineer before settling down again a short while after. It is bouncy and propels the Engineer high up into the air when jumped on, even if dead.
Occasionally it will raise itself onto its hind legs and then drop back down.
Land Whales can be sometimes found swimming, but with no special animation attributed to it, making it look like they're just floating in the water.
It makes low-pitched sounds when nearby.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Considering the large amount of health and the wait time before being able to collect the loot, the Space Giraffe is not a good target for farming Alien Carapaces.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Space Giraffe-Tick-Penguin-Whale Thing is not referred to anywhere in-game with the exception of its statue, its name comes from the Patch Closed Alpha 5 (and Patch 0.1) patch notes, which mentioned it for the first time. Later patch notes continue to refer to it as such, or as Space Whale/Tick/Giraffe, Space Giraffe/Tick/Whale/Penguin, or similar terms.
- It has the most health out of any creature in the game, twice as much as the engineer.
- Some gaming communities are starting to call it a "Whalephant", "Bean" or "Tall Boi" as a shorthand.
Current issues[edit | edit source]
- The path-finding of Space Giraffes is not fully implemented 'as intended', they re-use the path-finding meant for smaller creatures. Therefore, they can be seen pathing through factories or even Walkway Ramps despite their large body size.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Patch 0.1.11: Added new sounds
- Patch Closed Alpha 5: Added bouncy functionality, tweaked step height