The resource scanner (default V) is a tool used to scan the nearby area and shows the engineer locations of the 3 nearest resource nodes (or groups of them). In the beginning, it can only scan for Iron Ore, and the ability to scan for new resources are added after completing certain Milestones or M.A.M. researches.
Usage[edit | edit source]
- When the scan button (default V) is pressed and held down, a scanning wheel resembling a circular dial will pop up, allowing to select which resource will be scanned for.
- A cyan spherical surface will then propagate outward from the scanner. Three nearest patches of the chosen ore type will be scanned; their directions will be indicated on the compass (and map, if unlocked). Three pings sounds will then be played relative to their distances. If the resource patch is in the direction within the game window, lines will be drawn from the sky and point down to the exact resource node locations, regardless of the nodes are directly within the line of sight. Circles will be drawn, indicate the number, the locations, and the exact elevations of the nodes.
- The resource will be scanned regardless if the Engineer has built a Miner on top of it. After three nearest patches are scanned, the scanning process stops.
- The actual scanning process has no range limitations, it will scan until all 3 resource nodes or batches of them are found, no matter how far away from the engineer that may be.
- On the compass, the icon of the resource will be indicated with white background, with the nearest resource patch having the largest icon size.
- A single quick tap will trigger the re-scanning of the previously chosen resource type.
- After 25 seconds, the resource indications will disappear from the compass and map. Re-scan if needed.
Scanner upgrades[edit | edit source]
|Copper Ore||Hub Upgrade 2|
|Limestone||Hub Upgrade 3|
|Caterium Ore||Caterium Research (M.A.M. at Tier 2)|
or Tier 6: Expanded Power Infrastructure
|Raw Quartz||Quartz Research (M.A.M. at Tier 2)|
or Tier 7: Bauxite Refinement
|Sulfur||Sulfur Research (M.A.M. at Tier 2)|
or Tier 7: Nuclear Power
|Coal||Tier 3: Coal Power|
|Crude Oil||Tier 5: Oil Processing|
|Geyser||Caterium Research (M.A.M. at Tier 2,|
research requires at least Tier 5 parts and Oil)
|Bauxite||Tier 7: Bauxite Refinement|
|Uranium||Tier 7: Nuclear Power|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The scan effect sphere propagates outward at roughly 120 meters/second.
- It dissipates after about 350 meters, but the search is still going on.
- The resource scanner is the same tool as Build Gun.
History[edit | edit source]
- Patch 0.3.6.4: Every resource is now capitalized correctly
- Patch 0.3.6.3: Coal is now properly capitalized
Coal, but all other resources are capitalized incorrectly
- Patch 0.3.6: Coal is now capitalized
- Patch 0.3.4.12: Now works after being revived
- Patch 0.3.4.11: Scanner icons now correspond with the resource meshes again
- Patch 0.3: Coal is now capitalized
- Unknown patch before Patch 0.2.1: Scanning sound effect changed