|A short reptilian dog, orange in color and about the height of an engineer's knees.|
The Lizard Doggo is a short reptilian dog, orange in color and about the height of an engineer's knees. It has 4 eyes, long floppy ears, and short legs, with a shrimp-like tail and scales on the back resembling a carapace and a distinctive blue tongue. It occasionally makes a bird-like sound, and will also sneezes at random. It wanders around at random and will run away from sprinting engineers, but it can be baited with a Paleberry. It is widely viewed as the game's mascot after its initial appearance in the teaser trailer, and was the first and only thing revealed about the game until the E3 Reveal Trailer.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Lizard Doggo is cautious and normally maintains at least 16 meters from walking engineers while looking at the engineer. It always flees from running engineers. However, if a player drops a Paleberry nearby, the Lizard Doggo will eat it, and become passive to the engineer (sprinting will still scare the lizard doggo away while in this state). The engineer can then tame the Lizard Doggo by petting it (default E). Once tamed, the Lizard Doggo follows the engineer, and will occasionally generate random items (see below) and store them in its inventory (accessed by interacting with the Lizard Doggo with E). They can be kept in a makeshift farm in order to gather items frequently.
At random intervals, one of the following items is generated at random in varying quantities in a tamed Lizard Doggo's inventory:
|Ores||Iron Ore • Copper Ore • Limestone • Coal • Caterium Ore • Sulfur • S.A.M. Ore • Raw Quartz • Uranium|
|Flora and Fauna||Leaves • Wood • Mycelia • Flower Petals • Green Power Slug • Yellow Power Slug • Purple Power Slug • Alien Carapace • Alien Organs|
|Healing Items||Beryl Nut • Paleberry • Bacon Agaric|
The Lizard Doggo can also be used as a mule of sorts, as the single inventory slot can be used to store an item. However, given the ease with which the Lizard Doggo is scared away, it is easy to lose items this way.
Lizard doggos can forget that they have been tamed, usually when their owner died and respawned. It will not lose the items in its inventory and can be re-tamed.
Lizard Doggos will try their best to follow their owner, but if the player moves too far away or jumps more than 2 meters in the air (e.g. with the Blade Runners), the Lizard Doggo will run away. If the player returns to the Lizard Doggo (for example, from far away), the Lizard Doggo will appear to be joyful: it will jump around and swing its ears.
Lizard Doggos can be killed by the player, hostile creatures, and from falling too far. Avoid combat and great heights with Lizard Doggos around. It does not drop any items on death.
Multiplayer[edit | edit source]
- In a multiplayer game, only the player who tamed the Doggo by petting it is able to interact with it and access its inventory.
Current issues[edit | edit source]
- The Lizard Doggo's UI does not properly close when clicking the 'X' button. To properly close it, press Esc.
- Lizard Doggos can easily fall off high ledges, including elevated foundations, and die from fall damage. Avoid keeping them in high places.
Media appearances[edit | edit source]
- It occupies the entirety of the teaser trailer and can be seen attempting to eat a paleberry, while construction work can be heard and shadows and lights can be seen coming from behind the camera.
- In the E3 Reveal Trailer it can briefly be seen riding a conveyor belt at 1:48.
- It also made its appearance at the end of the Update 3 trailer.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Lizard Doggo's name comes from the combination of its scaly appearance which suggests that it is some sort of reptile, but its behavior that is comparable to that of a domestic dog.
- "Doggo" is an informal affectionate term for a dog. It was initially used jokingly but made its way into the game itself.
- The name "Lizard Doggo" was originally coined by YouTube commenter Chad Mojito.
- The "Lizard Doggo" may even get its own plush in real life as said in Q&A #2.
- Internally, it is referred to as "Space Rabbit".
- Lizard Doggos are supposed to be a cross of a rabbit and a shrimp that acts like a dog.
- To transport Lizard Doggos over long range, try to get them on top of a train or freight car, then drive the train home. Make sure they don't get off halfway.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- No recorded changes
References[edit | edit source]