|Tubes for transporting FICSIT employees.|
Require a Hyper Tube Entrance to function and be entered.
|Pieces Made||2 meters|
The Hyper Tube is a pipe-like transport system used to quickly transport engineers over long distances. A Hyper Tube Entrance is required for entry, but not for an exit. Hyper Tubes are non-directional and can be entered from both ends if an Entrance is placed on each ends.
Engineers can change the travel direction or nearly stop during mid-flight by holding the directional key (W or S). No Tube junction or crossing is possible. If the Tube is built through terrain or trees, engineers travelling inside will be able to clip through.
Speed[edit | edit source]
Travel speed is affected by whether traveling upwards or downwards and by the number of sharp turns. When entering a Hyper Tube, the engineer's velocity is added to the Tube's entry velocity, which, when chained, allows for the construction of cannons that can propel engineers with speeds exceeding 500 km/h, making it over four times faster than the Electric Locomotive, allowing for effective crossing of large distances
Hyper Tube cannon[edit | edit source]
A Hyper Tube cannon can be constructed by chaining Hyper Tube Entrances:
How to construct a Hyper Tube cannon[edit | edit source]
- Build a row of foundations of 1 tile x 9 tiles
- Every 4 meters, place a Hyper Tube Support with a Hyper Tube Entrance on each, up to 17. Chaining over 17 entrances is not recommended as the velocity gained in the Tube will shoot the player beyond the map boundary. Ensure all Entrances are facing the same direction.
- From each Support, build a short Hyper Tube of 2 meters each, except for the last segment.
- The last segment should be slightly longer and curved 30 degrees upwards and point towards the target destination. Use the mouse wheel to control the vertical tilt.
- Delete all Hyper Tube Supports that don't have an Entrance attached to them.
- Power all the entrances.
To use the Hyper Tube cannon[edit | edit source]
- Save your game.
- Equip a Jetpack and enter the 1st entrance for crossing the longest distance.
- If overshot, reload your saved game and enter from the 2nd entrance for a shorter distance. If still overshot, enter from the 3rd entrance, etc.
- Build walls or U-Jelly Landing Pad at the other end to land safely without a Jetpack.
- Experiment the ideal launching angle by adjusting the tilt and curvature of the last Tube segment.
- During mid-air, use ↑↓←→ to adjust your flight path.
To use the cannon for fast map exploration[edit | edit source]
- Build The HUB near the cannon to set your spawning point near it.
- Store all your inventory at a safe place, do not bring anything along.
- Launch across the map at any chosen angle.
- Kill yourself by simply letting the cannon to launch you outside the map, or click respawn button in the Esc menu.
- After respawn, adjust the last tube to a slightly different angle, then repeat the launch. Eventually, the entire map will be revealed.
Hyper Tube cyclotron[edit | edit source]
- A variant to Hyper Tube cannon is the Hyper Tube cyclotron, where several short segments are chained to form a loose loop, with the launching Tube placed at some distance away.
- When the speed gained in the loop is fast enough, it throws the engineer out of the loop and into the launching Tube for the actual launch.
- As this usually uses less entrances than the straight version, it can save some power, but is much more difficult to construct.
Construction[edit | edit source]
- The Hyper Tube has 4 construction modes: Default, Conveyor 2D, Noodle, and Vertical. Tubes do not transmit power, therefore each Entrance must be separately powered for it to be usable.
- Tubes have a maximum length of 100 meters before an additional Hyper Tube Support is required. Unlike Conveyor Belts, Hyper Tubes cannot be directly attached to each other when the support is deconstructed.
Engineer damage[edit | edit source]
- While inside, the Engineer will not aggro nearby hostile creatures, however, damage will be dealt if they come in contact, which may even throw the Engineer out of the Tube.
- The Tube does not shield from Poison Gas or Radiation.
- Fall damage will be inflicted if the Tube is exited vertically downwards too quickly.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hyper Tubes somewhat resemble the Tube Transport System from Futurama.
- In a multiplayer game, Engineers phase through each other if more than one are within, and can drag Engineers standing on the top of the Tube. The Tube can be constructed into a loop once another Engineer enters it, getting them stuck with no exit.
- The metal rings on the Tube aren't spaced out evenly.
History[edit | edit source]
- Patch 0.3: Introduced
See also[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]