|A tiny flying creature that attacks the player|
Stats[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Flying Crab Hatchers burst when damaged or if an engineer gets too close, spawning three Flying Crabs, each with a different attacking pattern. One of the three will charge towards the engineer in a straight line, one will fly in a serpentine pattern and the other one will circle around the engineer and sneak up from behind. After hitting the engineer, the crab will ragdoll on the ground, then after a few seconds it will start flying around again.
If the hatcher is destroyed from a distance, the Flying Crabs will alternate between moving short distances and hovering, patrolling near where their hatcher was.
Combat[edit | edit source]
- Once you have unlocked the Rebar Gun or Rifle, shooting the Flying Crab Hatcher and Flying Crabs from a distance is the easiest way to kill them.
- Flying Crabs despawn automatically after 30 seconds if no engineer is nearby, so you actually only need to shoot the hatcher. If you get too close the crabs won't despawn.
- Nobelisk is not effective against them. Crabs can easily move out of the explosion range.
- If only a melee weapon is available, such as a Xeno-Zapper, ensure you have at least 50 HP left (5 segments).
- Build an Equipment Workshop near the Flying Crab Hatcher.
- It has a window and roof with some walls that provide good cover.
- Try to only trigger one Flying Crab Hatcher at a time.
- The hatcher will spawn 3 flying crabs.
- First kill the one which is charging at you in a straight line. You need 2 hits with a Xeno-Zapper or 1 hit with a Xeno-Basher.
- If the crab takes damage, it will fall to the ground and roll. Move forward and kill it.
- Similarly, a crab that attacked you will also bounce away and roll on the ground.
- One of the remaining Flying Crabs will be right behind you. Turn around and attack it.
- The other might already have bumped into you from the other side. Each crab's tackle attack deals 5 damage (half a segment).
- Back off and watch them, and attack whichever comes to you first.
- Repeat until all 3 crabs are killed.
- Loot the dropped Alien Carapace for later use.
- If you are low on health, you may choose to flee.
- A Flying Crab's speed is lower than the engineer's running speed, so it is easy to outrun them.
Loot[edit | edit source]
Flying Crabs themselves drop nothing, but a destroyed hatcher drops a reskinned Alien Carapace.
See also[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Patch 0.3.4.11: Increased hitstun on the Flying Crabs a little more
- Patch 0.3.4.10:
- Increased the size of Flying Crabs to make them easier to hit and track
- Increased the stun delay and downward force on the Flying Crabs so they are on the ground a little bit longer
- Patch 0.2.1?: No longer simply flying in straight lines. Now they have 3 different type of movement modes and this make killing them considerably harder.
References[edit | edit source]