The Fluffy-tailed Hog (a.k.a 'Hog'), is a melee hostile creature that deals damage by its tackle attack. It can be seen guarding the resource patches around the starting area.
- A hog patrols around its spawning point, where location is commonly around resource nodes, Power Slug, Mercer Sphere, Somersloop, Crash Site, but can also be anywhere in the World.
- A hog makes a bear-like sound when patrolling.
- Hogs can be seen in a group of 3 or more. Some are lead by a larger version of these which is the Alpha Hog.
- If the engineer approaches a hog, it will become aggressive. All other nearby hogs, if present, will become aggressive as well. Hogs will start attacking the nearest engineer in this mode.
- A hog ignores all vehicles, even if an engineer is riding it.
- A hog triggers its tackle attack by charging and bumping towards the engineer at a high speed.
- If a hog is attacked by the engineer but the engineer is standing on a platform out of reach of the hog, it will flee. After some time it will move back to its patrol location.
- A hog drops an Alien Carapace after being killed. If it falls into a void, it will not drop any loots.
- Under normal circumstances, a hog do not re-spawn after being killed. However it is possible for it to re-spawn provided a long time as passed and there is no player-built buildings around it.
- If a building is built around it, and it is not killed by the engineer, after some time it will de-spawn, leaving no loots.
- Equip yourself with a weapon such as a Xeno-Zapper. Make sure it is in your hand.
- Make sure you are in the running mode. Press ⇧ Shift to toggle run. Make sure the running mode is set to 'Toggle' in the Options->Control setting.
- When a hog detects an engineer is nearby, it will run towards the nearest engineer, pause momentary, then triggers its tackle attack by charging and bumping towards the engineer at a high speed.
- In its attack mode you can see horizontal lines and some blurring effect behind the hog, indicating that it is moving at a high speed.
- Its attack can be completely dodged by getting out of its path of attack:
- Moving to sideways (A or D)
- Jump (SPACE)
- Moving backwards and sideways at the same time ((AS or SD)) while looking at the hog
- When it pass by you, use your Xeno-Zapper to double attack it with DOUBLE-CLICK. If you hit a hog, it will stop running, but will again attempt to charge at you.
- When a hog's missed its attack to hit you, it will run in a large circle and adjust its path until you are in its running path.
- It cannot turn around with a tight radius while it is sprinting. It can choose to pause momentary and turn its body around.
- If a hog hits you, you will be send backwards, flying across a short distance. 1 health segment (10HP) will be deducted. Further damage can be done if you land on a lower ground.
- As a hog has only 20 HP and each zap attack deals 5 damage, it can be kill with 4 zaps. Later in game you can kill it more easily with better weapon.
- If the hog dies, pick up the Alien Carapace dropped by it.
- Try to handle only one hog at a time.
- It is possible to kill a hog without getting yourself injured, but if your health drops too low, consider flee or heal yourself.
- If you attempt to flee, do not do so on a flat ground, as you could not outrun a hog. Instead, try to escape to a higher ground or lower ground. Jump onto the top of a small rock will do.
- Wait until your health slowly regenerates back to 3 segments (30 HP). Use a healing item such as a Beryl Nut to heal beyond that amount.
- A Fluffy-tailed Hog is referred as Phacochoerus Plumeus Cauda in game by ADA.
- It is a creature first seen in the E3 Trailer.
A Hog walking inside a forest.
A Hog charging towards the player.
A Fluffy-tailed Hog will remains in a passive state if it cannot reach the platform which the Engineer currently stands on.
Size Comparison. Left: Alpha Hog; Right: Normal Sized Hog.