|Burns Coal to boil Water, the produced steam rotates turbines to generate electricity for the power grid.|
Has a Conveyor Belt and Pipe input, so both the Coal and Water supply can be automated.
Resource consumption will automatically be lowered to meet power demands.
|Unlocked at||Tier 3 - Coal Power|
|Power Generated||75 MW|
|Fuel||Coal, Compacted Coal, Petroleum Coke|
The Coal Generator is a building that generates Power using Coal and Water. It is the first fully automate-able power source the engineer has access to and also the first power source to use a mined resource.
Fuel consumption[edit | edit source]
All type of Fuels and Water consumption are proportionally reduced when the Power usage is not at 100%. For instance, if only half of the power is being used, then both the Fuel and Water last 2x as long. At 100% power usage and 100% Clock speed, the Water consumption rate is 45 m3/min regardless the type of fuel provided. The following types of fuels are accepted:
|Fuel Type||Energy (MJ)||Stack Size||Energy/Stack (MJ)||Burn time (sec)||Items per Minute|
Generators per Coal node[edit | edit source]
A 100% Miner on a Coal node can support the following number of Coal Generators operating at 100% power usage (decimal amounts of machines means that the last machine needs to be underclocked for maximum efficiency):
|Water m3/min||No. of
A 250% Miner on a Coal node can support the following number of Coal Generators operating at 100% power usage (decimal amounts of machines means that the last machine needs to be underclocked for maximum efficiency):
|Water m3/min||No. of
- Coal burn time is 4 seconds, which means that a single Coal Generator consumes 15 Coal/min.
- Pipelines only have a capacity of 300 m3/min. Thus, when connecting Water Extractors to a line feeding 7 or more Coal Generators, Water inputs either need to be spaced out or be separated.
- Alternatively, it is possible to underclock each Water Extractor to 75% and connect it to exactly 2 Coal Generators. Then, the amount of Water Extractors is half the amount of Coal Generators.
- A Miner Mk.3 on pure coal node should only be overclocked to 163%, as belt Mk.5 won't be able to transport faster than that.
- As the Miner and Water Extractors consume power, the net power capacity is less.
Overclocking the generator[edit | edit source]
- The Coal Generator, like all power generation buildings, behaves differently to power consumer buildings when overclocked. See Clock Speed for more info.
- As the fuel & Water consumption rate are directly proportional to the Power production of Coal Generators (similar also applies to all Power generators), it is not advised to overclock any of these generators. It is just a waste of Power Shards.
Coal power setup tutorial[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Biomass Burner
- Fuel Generator
- Geo Thermal Generator
- Nuclear Power Plant
- Compacted Coal
- Petroleum Coke
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Top view of 3 Extractors to 8 Generators setup, using a common pipeline and 2 Mk.1 belts, each feed into 4 generators. The 2 Mk.1 belts can be merged to a single Mk.2 belt.
A few more Coal Generators, built in double manifold style.
Coal Generators built above Water Extractors. Each row has 9 Generators, fed by 2 vertical pipes in groups of 4. Two vertical pipes are combined at the bottom fed by 3 Extractors. The 9th generator has its own individual pipe and Extractor.
History[edit | edit source]
- Patch 0.3: Now requires Water to operate, appearance changed accordingly to include a Pipeline input. The chimney is now fully within the hitbox.